Bairnstrust Committee Meeting
19th April 2004
Elliots, Graeme Road, Falkirk
Stephen Bird called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone.
1. Apologies for Absence
Apologies were received from Steven Adam and John Dick.
2. Minutes of Last Meeting
Last months minutes were formally accepted as an accurate record.
Proposed Stewart Wilson, Seconded Wayne Toft.
3. Matters Arising
Michael voiced concern that minutes were published on the website
prior to the following months meeting. Kirstie confirmed that
the minutes were sent to all committee members for approval of
accuracy prior to publication on the web site. It was agreed by
the meeting this should continue to be the practice to ensure
transparency and to meet the target set in the meeting of 9th
February to have minutes in the public domain within a week of
a meeting. Kirstie is to check that we do not have to formally
alter item 109 of our constitution in light of this.
4. Review of Annual General Meeting
Although the turn out was disappointing the A.G.M. went well and
the contribution of Andy Nichol was greatly appreciated. Renewal
letters will be issued to members prior to the next meeting. The
Committee now have to decide within the terms of the Constitution
who will stand for re-election on BairnsTrust Board next year
and official office bearers for this coming year. It was agreed
to have this on the Agenda for the next meeting together with
provisional dates for next years A.G.M.
5. Financial Report
The returns have been signed off and the accounts are now on the
web site. Annual tax returns have been completed and it is confirmed
we were not liable to tax. With the reserves set aside for liabilities
there is an additional £580 currently held in the account
and renewal letters should go out over the next two weeks for
6. Season Ticket Meeting Review
Many things were considered including prices in our last season
at Brockville and the prices paid at Ochilview. The price bands
decided on reflect the different seating with ‘prime’
seating being wider and centre stand. Figures were worked out
on a capacity of 4166 less 378 for staff, scouts, press and hospitality.
The playing budget next season is dependant on the money taken
in from season tickets hence the need to balance between a fair
deal for the fans and income for the club. Not all decisions are
finalised and there is still debate surrounding the additional
£40 ‘Cup’ season ticket. Stephen requested that
the proposals regarding school age season tickets be re-visited.
Michael confirmed that the club will probably re-visit dependant
on whether away supporters have to be accommodated in the main
stand next season.
The contentious £25 letter was discussed and it was felt
that although the letter was wrong in the first place the club
would have to stand by what was offered to those who paid their
£25. Firm arrangements as to how this will happen should
be available soon after the holding of the proposed fans forums
to give the board a chance to gauge the feeling of as many fans
7. Events/Press and Public Affairs
* The Video has extended to 3 hours in length and is due to
be approved by the SFA next week. Brian is working at bringing
in other sponsors following the late withdrawal of one sponsor
due to change of ownership.
* Initial sales of T-shirts were slow in the wake of the negative
story in that weeks Falkirk Herald. Sales have since picked up
and extra supplies had to be delivered to the club shop. Once
again they will be on sale from 1pm before home games in the Warriors
* An entertainments sub committee of Brian Guthrie, Stewart Wilson,
Jean Toft and Wayne Toft will meet before the next meeting.
* Brian is to investigate the possibility of a BairnsTrust stall
at this years Grangemouth fete dependant on date.
* BairnsTrust will have representation with the club at Big in
Falkirk on May 2nd
* Brian is working on ideas for a newsletter and hopes to involve
another two people – names with held from minutes at the
moment for obvious reasons. The first newsletter should be out
in the next couple of weeks.
8. Fans Charter-1st Draft
Michael will circulate the draft to Kirstie and Fergus and a meeting
will be arranged to discuss as soon as possible. The draft will
be posted on the website as soon as possible and fans opinions
9. Westfield Update and FFC Board Report
* The building will be handed over to the club any day now once
staff are fully coherent in the working of the building. There
is a possibility that initial access will not include the top
floor at the moment.
* The sand on the pitch site will be covered tomorrow with topsoil
and a fast acting agent to encourage growth and the seed sown.
* Floodlights will be focussed on 17th May.
* A meeting is scheduled for Wednesday 21st April where it is
anticipated the Regulatory Authority will give the go-ahead for
the East Stand and Technicians Training Centre. The South stand
will be discussed at a council meeting on 5th May.
* The last Board meeting last Thursday concentrates on the playing
side and budgets for next season
* A pre-season tour of the North East of England taking in two
games is pencilled in for 12th-18th July and the club have been
asked to play pre-season friendlies at East Fife and Hamilton.
* It is anticipated to have possibly premiership opposition up
for the show case opening of Westfield on 24th or 31st July. The
pitch consultant has confirmed he expects the pitch to be ready
* Next seasons strip is due in the shop the first week in June.
No details have been given other than it is navy blue and will
have a ‘novel’ feature.
* The Club will shortly receive more money from Bristol City due
to Lee Miller having completed 40 games.
* Once again it was highlighted that Ochilview had been a huge
drain on the clubs resources.
10. Any Other Business
* Concern was expressed over the wording of the job specification
for Euan McIntyre’s new role. Both BairnsTrust and Euan
wish to emphasise that BairnsTrust representatives on the Board
represent ALL Falkirk fans and as such are a contact for all fans
* It was confirmed that the roof will be removed from the temporary
stand for the last games of the season. It was suggested the club
should be looking at ways to minimise the damage done by this
by issuing a statement in the local press as soon as possible.
Season ticket holders in this area have already received letters.
* Arrangements for Fans forums are at an advanced stage. The first
Forum will be scheduled for 27th April, followed by dates on 28th
April and 5th May. Further details will be announced once confirmed
but the meeting suggested that the club consider holding an additional
meeting in the Stenhousemuir area.
* Stadium tours will be the remit of the JVC but Michael has suggested
BairnsTrust provide the guides for the tours.
* Concern was expressed from the floor at the relationship the
Falkirk Herald seem to have with the club. Michael confirmed this
has been ironed out.
* Michael confirmed that subject to space they are looking at
the possibility of an overspill bar area for the opening few games
* No further developments have been forthcoming as yet from the
* The request that BairnsTrust logo be on the board used for television
interviews has still to be put to the Board.
* Kirstie requested all reports and updates be submitted by e-mail
rather than phone to prevent misunderstanding.
* BairnsTrust will request a meeting with the club board following
the club AGM to discuss the club/trust relationship and what input
the Trust can have in community issues.
* A member has requested a copy of the Clubs Equal Opportunities
statement. Michael will forward.
12. Date and Time of Next Meeting
The next meeting will be at 7.30pm on 17th May 2004 in the Community
Lounge at Westfield Stadium
: Download these minutes in Word Format : :